i secretly have a thing for rice-krispie-treats.
i also know how bad they are for you, so i suppress this thing like it’s nobody’s business.
then, the other day, i was walking down the baking aisle at tom thumb to grab a healthy can of organic pumpkin…and that’s when i saw them.
“jet-puffed” pumpkin spice marshmallows.
limited edition pumpkin spice marshmallows…isn’t that always the kicker?! i can only get these now…they won’t even be available again until next year!! so, i carpe’d the diem! haha.
that’s when my brain started churning…like butter…organic, grass-fed butter mixed with coconut oil!
i wanted to make these as healthy as possible, so i used gluten-free rice krispies…assuming they would simply be “low-gluten” treats. then something amazing happened… i found out “jet-puffed” brand marshmallows are totally gluten free! are you kidding me!?! this is going to be greatness!
(i know gluten-free is not the end-all, be all… but it sure does sweeten the deal!)
by the way…i was “officially notified” that i am allowed to post pumpkin recipes all the way up to thanksgiving!! so I still have one more month to pumpkin it up!! get excited friends!
- 1.5 tbsp organic coconut oil
- 1.5 tbsp organic (grass-fed) butter
- 1/4 c organic pumpkin puree
- 12 oz jet-puffed pumpkin spice marshmallows (i found them at tom thumb)
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract (gluten free)
- 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- pinch of salt
- 6 cups gluten free rice krispies cereal
- grease an 8x11 rectangular baking dish.
- in a non-stick saucepan, melt butter and coconut oil together over medium-low heat.
- add the pumpkin puree and stir together with a silicone spatula until mixed well.
- fold in the pumpkin spice marshmallows, stirring constantly until almost completely melted.
- stir in the vanilla, pumpkin pie spice, and salt, then remove from heat.
- allow the marshmallow mixture to cool about 10 minutes before adding the rice krispies (be patient...otherwise you will get soggy pumpkin spice-krispie treats!)
- once cooled, add in the rice krispies and stir until evenly coated and press into baking dish.
- place in fridge for about 10 minutes to set.
*these are best when enjoyed the same or next day!
more pumpkin madness…
[…] after my infatuation with this delicious recipe…i was inspired to make my own gourmet temptation; fancy, homemade, gluten-free marshmallows […]