what’s the best way to pump up your bland bowl of oatmeal in the mornings??
…with pumpkin (of course!)
this recipe is a healthy and delicious way to spice up your boring breakfast.
what is a healthy breakfast anyway? i always see “healthy breakfast cookies” being pinned and re-pinned on pinterest boards daily…if i made every “healthy” breakfast recipe i saw on there, i might be the size of a baby beluga whale!
sugar at breakfast is a joke. it is the fastest way to destroy your will power for the next 15 hours of your life. spike your blood sugar early and you’re slowly click-click-clicking your way up the initial ascent of a sugar-craving roller coaster.
i sweetened this oatmeal with some unsweetened vanilla almond milk and a tablespoon of organic coconut sugar so you don’t start your day off with a blood sugar spike.
oh, and it only takes about 3 minutes to make…so if you’re anything like me, flying by the seat of your pants to get out the door and to work on time, quick is a breakfast necessity. i have been known to eat both oatmeal and eggs out of a to-go cup as i drive to the gym at 5:15 am…(don’t judge me!) there are no good excuses for skipping breakfast. period.
pumpkin spice oatmeal
- 1/2 cup oatmeal
- 3/4 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 1/4 cup canned pumpkin puree
- 1 tbsp organic coconut sugar
- 1/4 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1 tbsp chopped walnuts
- stir together 1/2 cup of the almond milk, pumpkin, oatmeal, coconut sugar and pumpkin pie spice
- microwave on high for 2 1/2 minutes
- stir in the remaining 1/4 cup of almond milk until mixed in
- top with walnuts