as much as i love football, i refuse to blow my week of perfect eating on some fried wings or crappy frozen appetizers that would never appeal to me outside a room filled with jerseys and team spirit. “game day goggles” ~ they cloud all the common sense you may have about making healthy eating choices and throw it out the window. (i think it might be the same thing that can sneak up on you at a wednesday night baseball game–yes, i’m talking about dollar hot dog night!)
back to the game. my personal weakness at game day gatherings (or any mexican food restaurant for that matter!) is guacamole. okay, okay…chips and guacamole. let’s be honest, i can’t even imagine myself shoveling guac into my mouth with a spoon; so if it weren’t for those greasy little fried tortilla chips, i probably wouldn’t even be tempted by the guacamole in the first place!
but what if i had a crisp chip that was packed with protein to load up my guacamole on?? oh, and it only takes 2 minutes to bake!?! that’s right. this recipe is a game changer. :)
4-pepper spicy guacamole
- 4 avocados
- 1-2 garlic cloves
- 1/2 white onion
- 1 large tomato
- 1 jalapeno pepper
- 1 serrano pepper
- 1 red fresno pepper
- 1 habanero chili pepper
- 1 lime
- salt & pepper to taste
- cut open avocados and remove pits. scoop out avocado centers into a bowl and mash up with a fork.
- mince your garlic cloves and add to avocado.
- finely dice up your onion and peppers (careful with the habanero especially, it is a wicked burn if you accidentally touch your eye–or something worse…gentlemen, i recommend washing your hands before using the restroom!)
- mix everything together, and squeeze in the juice from your lime (*tip: roll it on the counter to get the most juice out of it!)
- chop tomato and add in last.
- salt & pepper to taste
- cover and put in refrigerator for about 30 minutes before serving to let the flavors meld together!
- 1 package flat-out light wraps (i like italian herb)
- your favorite seasoning (i like both tony chachere’s light creole & salt free seasoning)
- turn on oven to broil setting
- place flat-out wraps (2 at a time) on a baking sheet, spray with olive oil or other non-stick cooking spray to help seasoning stick, and lightly sprinkle with seasoning
- using a pizza cutter, slice the wraps into chip sized pieces (~12-15 pieces per wrap)
- place in the oven for 1 minute. don’t go anywhere…you gotta watch these babies closely! after a minute, remove from oven and turn over with tongs. put back in oven for about 30-45 seconds. again, watch closely or they will burn!
- remove from oven and let sit for a minute or two to let them crisp up!
one serving of these chips (1 wrap) is only 90 calories, 2.5 fat, and packs 9 whole grams of protein!